Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Quote of the day, “I sweat in places I didn’t know I could.”





First day of camp today and it was but 15 minutes into camp and I was sweating from my arms, my legs, and everywhere on my face. The quote of the day became, “I sweat in places I didn’t know I could.” It is so hot here. So hot. We are doing camp in an old school room with a tin roof. During camp you could feel the heat radiating off the tin. I think one could fry an egg on the tin if she/he left it there for the day.

40 children filed in. Great day with the children. Arts and crafts, a bit of sports, drums, and a story acted out by the workers added up to be a good first day. Neat to see the team of workers mesh more and more. Today we had the same workers from the last three years and it was so encouraging to watch them work together as a team, laugh together, understand how to teach the children and not do it for the children. Two of our workers didn’t know each other three years ago and today I got to watch them interact like brothers. Laughing and being ridiculous together. Neat to see relationships that have cultivated over time.

Got to take a stroll through the market, which is always interesting. Love to embrace the culture, see the people out and about, learn the language more and more, and just embrace Haiti. It is in those moments that I am so thankful for the whole experience of Haiti. Favorite moment of today was running around in a circle with the children while the adults played the drums and we yelled, “Jericho, Jericho.” I think I am 28 years old...maybe not this week!

Day two tomorrow…here we go.

No comments: