Tuesday, August 2, 2011

God Paved the Way on a Moto

I am well at my final destination, but getting here was a process. Woke up and got on stand by this morning, first blessing. After flying for 45 minutes north had me a nice rocky landing on a dirt tarmac, but was greeted by faces that made me smile. My Haitian brothers had come to pick me up at the airport. Little did I know that we were NOT taking a tap-tap(a hired truck), but we were going to take motos. We had 245lbs of equipment equaling 4 large duffel bags and a total of 5 people. My first question to all of you is….do we think motos is the right machine for this job? I tried to ask that question over and over, but everyone, but me was in agreement that it was the only way. Tap-taps were not passing the river because it was too high. I lost it laughing, “Seriously….wait…seriously…if you guys drop these bags into the river there goes our camp.”

Off we went….one moto with two bags on the back and two people. Then there was my moto. Let me paint a good picture for you. The driver almost sitting up where the handles were, ME, then my Haitian brother, Lou behind me. I was holding a bag, Lou was holding a bag and then one of our duffel bags was buggy corded to the back. Sound like a good plan? Nope. We arrive at the river….here is the tricky part. Getting our bags and motos and us all onto a rowboat that will be pushed across the river. I am still laughing outloud while the men are pushing us. We all crawl out of the “boat” and reload the bikes. By now I am so tired, but also know that we have an hour and half ride ahead of us. Not a smooth, easy ride at that. It is almost too hard to explain. The road is so bumpy, so uneven that one usually descends the bike with a rip-roaring headache. About an hour into the ride I was ready to loose it, but then I looked around at the others to find them all smiling and laughing at the situation. Heck, if they can do it, so can I…about mile 8 we rode through the biggest puddle that smelled of cow dung…..and because I was crammed between the two people I could not lift my feet….a foot bathing of some nasty smelling water. By now I have let go….and am laughing uncontrollably. Got to love the essence of traveling in Haiti. We made it…laughing, with all my bags, and safely. I could not have asked for more. Everything went perfectly great today and that is never the case. Usually I don’t get my bags, the tap-tap breaks down, or someone forgets you…but today God paved the way on a moto. Safe and sound…happy…loving being home and with the people.

First day of camp on Monday. Children are excited…getting excited through their joy and expectations. Here we go….pray for us and the

No comments: