Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Day of Mixed Emotions

Today has been a day of mixed emotions. Started the morning by attending a funeral. A friend of ours, her husband passed away. In Haiti, when someone passes away you often hear this deep wailing. It is often very loud, I could here it and I was about a 10-minute walk from the church. Ryna said, “Sometimes that is what I feel like doing here.” Resonated with my heart. Sometimes I just feel like wailing for this place, the children that die to the harsh reality of malnutrition, worst string of cholera hitting Haiti, the worst earthquake hitting Haiti. Just want to wail sometimes because some of it just doesn’t make sense. It is a wail that is so loud that it sounds like it has been bottles up for years. Seems like there is not one family here that hasn’t endured a deep suffering. It sounds like a deep cry to God, “Help.”

I bleed for this place. It is hard to not want to give it all away here. My troubles seem so insignificant here. Want to yell at my self, at our world, “wake up, HIS kingdom is hurting.” Port-de-Paix just had many people that came to be treated for cholera, 1,200. Two of the Americans here got it and said it was absolutely awful. They said that their bodies had never hurt so badly. So thirsty, body hurt because it could not retain water, could not walk. The worst strand f Cholera hit Haiti. Please continue to pray for the people of Haiti. Pray for the doctors, the patients, and pray that the cholera would subside.

Doesn’t make sense, but then I think…God, give me the faith that passing my own understanding. Give me a faith that leaps after your love and power. A faith that presents its self-daily to you in an offering of take my life.

The day started off with a funeral, a mother and baby dying in the hospital. As the day continued we got to embrace the laughter of camp. Week two almost done. Continued to be amazed at what God is doing. The day ended with quiet a surprise. Tonight we were having coffee and got a call that they were going to do a c-section in the hospital. I took off after the doctors because I wanted to watch and see how my lovely mother gave birth to me: )

I got there and they told me to suit up because they need as many hands as possible for a c-section….ummm, what???? Scrubs…check…hair back…check….face mask..check…change shoes..check…c-section…WHAT? It was quick, but so intense and amazing to watch. Me and Ryna were supposed to be in charge of the baby, but the baby came out not breathing so Anne-Marie and Ryna quickly took over to do heart pumps and give him oxygen. I got put in charge of watching the mother’s blood pressure, hitting some button (that helped with oxygen to mother), and chatting with the mother. Crazy to watch it unfold. After about 10 minutes they got the baby breathing on his own. Healthy, looks great. Mother is great. Leah now wants to be a doctor and will never have children because that was some crazy stuff.

Called home tonight to let my mother know that my dad was safe and sound in Haiti and also say thank you for having me and going through that pain. I too, was a c-section. Mixed emotions kind of day, started with death and ended with life. Continue to embrace God and what he is doing in Haiti. Feel blessed to be a part of Haiti’s story and people’s lives. Thank you all for your prayers, support, and joy. Please continue to pray for tomorrow. Got to go pick up my dad by motto, that is not fun anymore. Always a bit of work. Pray for the next two weeks of camp, that God may continue to use it as a tool to reach the children and work with the youth. Until next time….love you all!

No comments: